Adoption, truly, isn't optional

There was a time that adoption was, in my life, about me. I was married, barren, and the last of our friends without children.

We gave up on medical intervention for my infertility within a few months of starting, knowing that God had another plan for us. Shortly after a young woman came into our lives who chose us to be the parents of her unborn daughter. We were thrilled, a little scared, but sure that we would be able to offer her everything.

We had hardly had time to adjust to becoming parents when the day came that she was in labor and, in one of the most devastating moments of my life, her birthmom changed her mind. I remember the loss as if I had lost a child in my womb, I grieved for the baby girl I would never hold, grieved for the baby that was not going to be mine.

2 years later, in what was only the Lord’s grace He gave us a beautiful little girl, who, when we met for the first time was already wholly and completely ours.

3 months later the Lord asked us to completely and fully trust Him as we met our second daughter’s birthmom, and we had a fully disclosed, open and loving relationship with her. A woman who to this day remains part of our family and part of our daily lives.

For all these years adoption remained about me. It wasn’t until all my plans and preparations for our second daughter’s birth did I finally realize this was about something so much bigger, this was about God, about our Awesome, Powerful and Mighty God who has a plan for each of our lives and who deserves all the Glory.

With that came new purpose, adoption and orphan care wasn’t about me, it is about the fatherless and our Father, who shows us that He LOVES and cares for every child.

My cousin recently said that adoption isn’t optional, for children. I found that statement to be awesome, for there are millions of fatherless children and not having a home isn’t one of the options for them, it may be a fact of life, but it isn’t an option. The only option they see is the need for a family, no matter how old, young, poor or rich that family is, to a child, it could be home.

1 comment:

The Davis Family said...

I'm getting all emotional now because we are at the beginning of adoption - I know God will provide for us and won't make it harder than we can bear... but even just the waiting and not knowing is hard! I hope to meet our little one soon! (btw - we are buying a minivan this weekend, so now we are truly ready;-)